"I’m bitter and resentful and angry, not impolite."
— chuck palahniuk, DOOMED
arcade fire, WE EXIST. from the record REFLEKTOR
while listening to this on repeat on the way home until ten minutes ago, may be i got a little teary-eyed. probably, more like. yes.
every now and then run into corey online.
mogwai, REMURDERED, from the record RAVE TAPES (release date: 1/21/14)
nine inch nails, SATELLITE. from the record HESITATION MARKS
the funkiest, most soulful nine inch nails record since, really, PRETTY HATE MACHINE.
1. There is no one Singularity. Any area of scientific inquiry, pushed far enough, could provide its own native version of a cataclysm: biological, cognitive, mechanical, cybernetic, you could name it. If man is the measure of all things, then there probably is no measure by which we can’t be made more than human.
2. A Singularity ends the human condition (because that is its definition), but it resolves nothing else. It would almost certainly be followed by a rapid, massive explosion of following Singularities. These ultra — cataclysmic events would disrupt the first Singularity even more than the first Singularity disrupted the human condition.
3. The posthuman condition is banal. It is crypto — theological, and astounding, and apocalyptic, and eschatological, and ontological, but only by human standards. Oh sure, we become as gods (or something does), but the thrill fades fast, because that thrill is merely human and parochial. By the new, post Singularity standards, posthumans are just as bored and frustrated as humans ever were. They are not magic, they are still quotidian entities in a gritty, rules — based physical universe. They will find themselves swiftly and bruisingly brought up against the limits of their own conditions, whatever those limits and conditions may be.
4. Messy, embarrassing, reversible, goofy, catch — as — catch — can posthumanism is politically preferable to sleek, streamlined, sudden, utter, Final Solution posthumanism. The best way to encounter a Singularity would be to nick over the event horizon for a minute or two and have somebody else yank you back. Then the rest of us would be able to debrief you, and see if you could still write as well as Jaron Lanier."
— Chairman Bruce responding to Jaron Lanier 13 years ago at http://edge.org/conversation/one-half-a-manifesto#rc (via zerosociety)
"I’m a robot inside of a robot inside of another robot. I’m like a nesting doll that gives blowjobs steeped with existential ennui." — matt fraction, CASANOVA: GULA
i looked down and blood on his lips and dribbled between his teeth and onto me. the blood, it slid off me and stained the bed.
at first I thought it was his tongue stud. it’s also red.
his eyes opened wide and said ‘oh my god’ and i looked down, and the blood came. of course my erection went away.
went to the toilet and tried to staunch off the blood but as i squeezed more blood came. i aimed at the toilet and blood everywhere. should i go to the doctor? he rinsed his mouth out with scope or something. considering how futile it was, really, but, come on, no one wants to swallow someone else’s blood, right?
in the shower, i washed myself off. nothing hurt. and i washed and when a grabbed my penis into my fist and squeezed again and almost as if i was urinating only, it wasn’t coming from my urethra. i had a tear on me. somewhere. imagine a thin stream of blood jetting out. i should’ve been more concerned.
we went to dinner. we canceled the party. we ate.
i went to the bathroom and i had a lot of coagulated blood trapped in my foreskin and i peeled it off and more blood came. and maybe because i saw it come in more streams, i began to teeter. he said ‘we’re taking you to the emergency room’ and i went. on the walk to the car i nearly fainted. there *had* been so much blood. nothing hurt. at dinner he said he remembered hearing a pop. then the blood. he’s going down on me and then a popping sound and then blood. we made it to an emergency room.
after embarrassingly answering why i was there, i thought about chuck palahniuk’s CHOKE and the sexual deviancy in the book and how ridiculous some of those stories sounded. and yet…
i was checked out and more coagulated blood. the doctor, he says, let’s take a look and as soon as i pull out my penis, a squirt of blood and he gives me gauze. i spilled blood on the floor. he told me to hold the gauze in place and they’d get me into a bed.
a second doctor examines more and says i’m fine. he checks me for pain and i tell him nothing hurts. i pay and everything and hours later, off we go and return to the hotel. i hate i didn’t take the bloody gauze with my dna all over it and the pieces of blood on it.
clean up as best as possible and i’m mentally setting aside the money the hotel is going to charge me for the ruined bedroom and bathroom things. christ. and i feel fine.
i am a little reticent to look and see what happened. how i look now. the cut on my dick, i feel it when i get excited and when i pee but there is no more blood. i don’t think he bit me, no. like i said, nothing hurt and still no pain. and in my head, i’m thinking what the popping sound might have been. and going by what i saw along with the doctor last night, i think he inadvertently tore at some tissue. i’m not circumcised and probably because we weren’t being as careful, it wasn’t so much as a “pop” as it was probably a “tear”.
(there aren’t links to penis pictures. no one needs to see those photos.)
and this was how my vacation ended.
— will christopher baer, KISS ME, JUDAS
[so frightfully exciting and funny and tender.]
"Do you prefer your corpse to be a waste product or sex object?"
— supervert, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT?
- One Week - Father's Office
She checked first thing in the morning. There was nothing from him. No word from him the night before. She did not wake...
- “What one does is what counts. Not what one had the intention of doing.”—
Pablo Picasso #GivingTuesday
Discover ways to give to the Museum here: ...